Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Building a Flying Motor Cycle Using Parasailing Strategies

Did you know that several folks have built flying motorcycles using parasailing strategies? Sounds cool right? I mean just fly to where you want to go and then land and have fun? Well it is not that easy and they do not go very fast, but it is a cool way to fly and exhilarating agree most of these crazy men in their flying machines.

When I looked at the designs, I noticed the size of the props on the "Gold Wing" style motorcycle model, were huge and I thought well that is completely unacceptable and undoable. Hell it looked like something you might see in the Bayou in Louisiana on an airboat? But a Gold Wing Honda is a very heavy motorcycle.

Such a huge propeller system and canopy in my opinion is a no go and I imagine the canopy must have also been intensive for that amount of weight - that just kills the whole idea. But a race bike motorcycle like a Honda Hurricane, which has great power and 370 lbs. (DRY) big difference.

A Gold Wing weighs over 830 lbs for a GL1800, so if there is a ratio of "weight to size" for the prop consider a race bike can be reduced by over half the size? Maybe, do not know. Then a BMW Touring Bike is 223 lbs, which could be a better option even still:

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/bmw_r1200gs_adventure_2007.php

Of course I see about 30 lbs I can take off of this without getting too tricky? I suppose we could find a motorcycle that weighed in at 180-200 this means one-quarter the size for propulsion unit? Also I really believe we could design a better unit than the ones previously built.

A trail bike combo road touring bike with light weight saddle bags is potentially workable? Rebuilding a motorcycle to be lighter weight is a wasted effort because they are already about a light as they can get without getting exotic with full carbon frames and carbon-nano-tube construction is a ways off for cost, but not that far away in years? I agree with the concept of two smaller propellers to help for steering too, which my friend Joe mentioned.

Perhaps you have dreams of literally flying on your motorcycle too? Well, it may not be such a far-fetched idea really, I hope you will consider this on your next road trip? Then you can really by-pass traffic.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home